Gallup and Healthways have developed a comprehensive, definitive source of well-being measurement, the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being 5. This scientific survey instrument and reporting experience measures, tracks and reports on the well-being of individuals and organizations. The five essential elements of well-being are:
- Purpose: liking what you do each day and being motivated to achieve your goals
- Social: having supportive relationships and love in your life
- Financial: managing your economic life to reduce stress and increase security
- Community: liking where you live, feeling safe and having pride in your community
- Physical: having good health and enough energy to get things done daily
It will be interesting to see how governments and companies start adopting this. It is interesting as you cannot be prescriptive for these indicators. As a leader you have to create the conditions to let each person make it happen for themselves.
Each element in the Global Well-Being Index contains two questions asked of all respondents:
- You like what you do every day.
- You learn or do something interesting every day.
- Someone in your life always encourages you to be healthy.
- Your friends and family give you positive energy every day.
- You have enough money to do everything you want to do.
- In the last seven days, you have worried about money.
- The city or area where you live is a perfect place for you.
- In the last 12 months, you have received recognition for helping to improve the city or area where you live.
- In the last seven days, you have felt active and productive every day.
- Your physical health is near-perfect.